International Breakfast 2008

Each year we celebrate the European Day of Languages with an international breakfast.  This year we celebrated a day early as tomorrow is Health Day.  We invite in lots of internationals living locally – probblem is they tend to be working during the day and can’t always attend (so we have plans for an evening event later in the year!) 

Today we had representatives from France, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa and Scotland!  The breakfast was attended by S1, the senior Gaelic class (all learners) and various staff looking for a free breakfast!  However this year we decided there is no such thing as a free breakfast and set everyone who came a little challenge.  Each person was given a passport, each representative had flags from their country, when the guests had “visited” the country and had a conversation or learned a few words they got the appropriate flag for their passport – in fact most of S1 went round twice.  Most impressive were our S1 fluent Gaelic speakers, we have six of them and they took turns at hosting the Scottish table – all of their classmates who are all Gaelic learners came and had a little conversation with them to show what they have learned so far, even the senior Gaelic class had a go!  As always the food was very popular – exotic fruit (well as exotic as the Coop had to offer on Wednesday!), Scottish biscuits and French cheeses.  Meanwhile out in the entrance hall the plasma screen displayed a selection of music and film in different languages.  Have a look at our photos – courtesy again of the wonderful animoto.com

2 thoughts on “International Breakfast 2008

1. I hope that the “European Day of Languages” will encourage many people to learn a new language. Especially in the United Kingdom where the interest in learning languages seems to be declining.

You may know that four schools in Britain have introduced Esperanto, the neutral international language, in order to test its propaedeutic values?

The pilot project is being monitored by the University of Manchester, and I believe the project deserves academic appraisal.

An interesting video can be seen at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670

2. I would like to argue the case for Esperanto as the international language. It is a planned language which belongs to no one country or group of states.

Take a look at http://www.esperanto.net

Esperanto works! I’ve used it in speech and writing in a dozen countries over recent years.
    Indeed, the language has some remarkable practical benefits. Personally, I’ve made friends around the world through Esperanto that I would never have been able to communicate with otherwise. And then there’s the Pasporta Servo, which provides free lodging and local information to Esperanto-speaking travellers in over 90 countries. In the past year I have had guided tours of Berlin and Milan in the planned language. I have discussed philosophy with a Slovene poet, humour on television with a Bulgarian TV producer. I’ve discussed what life was like in East Berlin before the wall came down, how to cook perfect spaghetti, the advantages and disadvantages of monarchy, and so on. I recommend it, not just as an ideal but as a very practical way to overcome language barriers.