The wonders of Bluetooth…

I love the freedom from wires and cables Bluetooth gives me.  Today I recorded a set of directions that would take my S3s on a little tour round the top of Tobermory near the school.  I did need a cable to download from the mp3 recorder, but…

thanks to the wonders of my Glow Mac and pupils’ mobile phones, I sent the files straight to them, no cables and wires, no charging iPods (much as I love my iPods, charging them takes a bit of time – one of S6 thinks he can build me a multi charger so there is hope!)

The class divided themselves into groups of 3/4 with one phone between them and one map.  I sent the directions to each phone (I’m sure there must be a way of doing more than one device at a time, but we couldn’t find a way) and set off at intervals with their recorded directions.  It was a beautiful sunny day, the technology worked well.  I also suggested that they might take photos of any “landmarks” they passed to prove their route – so far I’ve seen a photo of the phone box, the church and a car (“just because I liked it, Miss”) – shame about their sense of direction as at least two groups appeared back coming from the top of a road I had though was a dead end…

2 thoughts on “The wonders of Bluetooth…

1. This sounds great. I am using mobiles with my primary children and they love sending files to one another of educational value. They are now taking their mobiles seriously rather than a toy.

Sharon

2. There was another advantage I didn’t mention – when one group were still out and it was almost the end of the period, the others tried to call them to hurry them up.